Like any Pioneer, when William Johnston decided to build a brick house in the countryside of the fledging town of Louisville, he first searched for a good spring. He found one that helped feed Beargrass Creek emanating from a large cave that kept it well protected.
When surveyed by Edmund Lee in 1847, the spring was 11 feet above the creek, which was later made into our main lake. The spring is protected by a sizeable cave which can be entered on foot for about 30 feet. Crawl space extends another 45 feet. However, footing is treacherous, and the cave is off limits to visitors.